[internetworkers] AirPort/Express access problems

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Sun Sep 12 18:17:42 EDT 2004

On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:31 AM, James Dasher wrote:
> I normally have no problems accessing wireless networks - except in
> one place (Cup-A-Joe in Mission Valley, if you're curious).
>
> I've seen people using PowerBooks access that network with no
> problems.  And my iBook joins the network, but I can't connect via
> that network to the Internet.
>
> Once, after numerous troubleshooting efforts, the folks behind the
> counter rebooted their router/WiFi, and I managed to have a happy
> browsing and emailing experience.  But I still can't just show up,
> open the laptop, andget to work.
>
> Anybody else have the same (or a similar) problem?  Or have any
> suggestions for something to try?

James,

I always have exactly the same problem at Cup-a-Joe (12" G4 Powerbook,
OS X 10.3.5). I can easily join the local network, but not the Net.
Email, web browser, ping--nothing works. I've compared my setting with
happy Mac surfers, but I have yet to find a pattern or fix, sorry.

I've traced it as far as the auto-assignment of my IP address, which is
somehow incompatible with the local WiFi router. I suspect that I'm
somehow being assigned an IP that's already in use, but that's just a
hunch.

So these days, I just try for a connection when I arrive (which always
fails), then I ask the folks at the counter to restart the router. I'd
rather not do it, since it causes a momentary hiccup for everyone who's
connected, but I don't know what else to do. Dave (the owner) will
usually do it, and some of the braver baristas.

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/