Fwd: [internetworkers] swift boats ain't nothing

James Dasher jdasher at ibiblio.org
Sun Sep 12 09:34:41 EDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 11:59 PM, Joe Komenda wrote:

> Oh, that's nothing. Here's some inflammatory stuff:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/atrios/jesusbush.jpg

Inflammatory, sure.  But, like the Washington/Paddle Boat Veterans For
Truth thing, funny - after a fashion.

Coming from Atrios, it's a little less funny, because he's pretty
intolerant of Christians.  I don't see him posting something like that
at Muslims' expense.  Also, I don't see Atrios (whose blog I read
somewhat regularly) being able to engage in a debate about 'jus ad
bellum' vs. 'jus in bellum', or the Thomistic arguments for and against
the use of force.  (The Scholastics crafted most of the philosophical
arguments that, 700 years later, were codified as the Geneva
Conventions.)  But that's neither here nor there.

The real point I think this thread brings up is that people should have
the right to make these ads, regardless of political affiliation.  And
make no mistake: both efforts posted to this thread required time,
resources, and effort (money), and are designed to persuade.  But
should the people behind them be allowed to say these things?  And what
are the connections to the presidential campaigns?  I'll bet the
degrees of separation aren't than wide.

Look, if George Soros wants to give $10 million to MoveOn.org, or
former MoveOn.org execs want to work for the Kerry campaign, who cares?
  And if a couple-hundred Swift Boat vets want to raise half a million
dollars to run ads criticizing Kerry, or a lawyer for the Bush team
wants to give legal advice to them, again: who cares?

So the Jesus-Bush thing was posted to the Web.  It wouldn't take much
more effort to make a 30-second commercial out of the images.  And if
somebody wanted to buy advertising time in, say, Lizard Lick, NC (or
Raleigh) -- should we really be passing laws telling people that their
opinions don't matter?  That they're not allowed to buy time, because
they're not rich enough to be a candidate for President of the United
States?

Say what you will about McCain-Feingold, or John Kerry, or George Bush,
or Atrios -- but then, that's the point.  At least, that would be the
point, if the First Amendment mattered more than the misguided faith of
true believers that people who disagree with them shouldn't be allowed
to participate in the free exchange of ideas.

Me, I say, to echo both George Bush and John Kerry: "Bring it on!"

Cheers, peeps!