[internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Tue Sep 7 13:12:12 EDT 2004

On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Thomas wrote:

> Sil Greene wrote:
>> You should check out Looking for Richard, a semi-documentary of
>> Pacino's
>> efforts to film Richard III.  Been a while since I've seen it, but I
>> think
>> there's plenty of screaming to keep you satisfied, Dave.  :)
>
> Definitely.  That is a good piece.  And you should see some of Kenneth
> Branagh's films of Shakespeare plays, starting with Henry V.  He hews
> closely to the original language but makes it all very understandable.
> Really great films.

Thomas is right about this (for the most part).  I thought the
adaptation of "Much Ado About Nothing" was entertaining and excellent,
even with Keanu playing a main role.  http://imdb.com/title/tt0107616/

Why am I remembering something with Kevin Kline, but cannot think of
the film?  In general, I believe all these 'period pieces' must achieve
something amazing to rise above the din of bland, blase, and boring.
Just ask Reese Witherspoon!!

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?
sectionid=1267&storyid=1900428

"Modern audiences need to understand this character. We wanted to turn
the period film on its ear. We didn't want bonnets. We didn't want to
make another movie like every other one you've seen."

But Shakespeare for kids?  Uhhh... I'll have to see it to believe it.