[internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Tue Sep 7 12:12:22 EDT 2004

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/
0,5744,10699003%255E16947,00.html

After "Heat" and "Scent of A Woman" I am left wondering just how many
lines Al can scream his way thru.  Also perplexing to me is the innate
drive of Pacino to get next-generation kids to read (Yes, that word was
'read', as in 'with their eyes' and 'from a book') the works of William
Shakespeare.  I honestly cannot think of one thing (besides the bible)
that would drive kids away from reading more than that archaic, oral
bungle that is Olde English.

Yes, I agree that many of the themes are universal and of course there
are lessons to be learned.  Just like their are lessons to be learned
via "ER" or "Sex in the City."  Yet the hollering elderly fail to
realize that it bores the pants (or skirts) off of young people to read
such things.  I mean, why not have them read the ingredients off of a
bag of lawn fertilizer?  At least the English is up to date.

Anyway, not to start a debate on the relative merits of W. Shakespeare
or his works, but I do not agree that this is the best way to encourage
kids to read.  I think Oprah does a much better job of presenting works
that a greater percentage of the country can read, understand, and
enjoy.  No, it may not be the Merchant of Venice, but at least they
don't feel like they just wasted two or three weeks reading something
incomprehensible.

And from the article: "Meanwhile, Pacino has been spruiking the
benefits of Shakespeare."  What the hell is spruiking?  My spell check
does not recognize such madness.  Is this an Australian word?
Spelunking?

So, yeah - my vote on the idea of making movies (for kids, nonetheless)
out of old Willy's works is Da-na-no, my biddy.  Wa da tah.

--
Creating chaos in all the right places...
                               ... http://ibiblio.org/matusiak/