[internetworkers] MS opens music store

ron thigpen ron at fuzzsonic.com
Fri Sep 3 12:23:29 EDT 2004

Ian Meyer wrote:

> No matter what, its nice to have a physical CD that I own and can put
> my hands on, instead of just owning a chunk of data with nothing more
> to it...

Or worse, when in the eyes of the record company you don't own a copy of
the data, you are just allowed to possess it under the terms of the
licensing agreement and use it only as they deem fit.

In the case of iTMS and my SlimDevices networked music appliance, in
order to stay w/i the boundaries of the agreement, in order to play a
track thru my appliance, I would have to burn a copy to CD, and then rip
back from that CD.  That's just silly.

--rt