[internetworkers] MS opens music store

ron thigpen ron at fuzzsonic.com
Fri Sep 3 11:40:59 EDT 2004

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

> I agree, if you want to go the loss-less route then that's a little much
> on the storage side.  I've never been an audiophile, and the lossy
> formats are just fine for me.

It's not just the audiophile thing (although that's a lot of it).  It's
knowing that it's the last rip I'll have to do.  Let the format wars
rage, as long as there's an open encoder, I'll be able to change up by
going from lossless to (insert new format here).

> [...] most people who think they can hear the difference can't really
> :-)

Of course, not all lossy codecs sound the same.  Do I here differences?
   On my portable and in my car, not so much.  But on the big system
it's pretty clear even w/o blind testing.  Maybe with *deaf* testing :]
  And it's not that it's so horrible, just that it could be better.  And
once you learn to recognize the artifacts it just tends to distact when
what you really want to do is get lost in the music.

--rt