[internetworkers] MS opens music store

Michael Czeiszperger michael at czeiszperger.org
Fri Sep 3 11:20:38 EDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 11:09 AM, ron thigpen wrote:

> Believe me, I feel the pain of CD storage.  But even as good as the
> compressed formats are these days, there's still a
> fidelity/convenience trade-off.  Depending on the work in question I
> may or may not choose one over the other.
>
> I do backup my digital collection, but adding all my CDs ripped
> losslessly would push the size w/backup to about a Terabyte of data.
> That'll be cost effective sometime before too long and the back
> catalog can go into storage then.

I agree, if you want to go the loss-less route then that's a little
much on the storage side.  I've never been an audiophile, and the lossy
formats are just fine for me.

Maybe its a coincidence, but for a previous employer I ran a blind
listening tests on lossy compression schemes, and found that the
"blind" part really messes up people's understanding of what sounds
good.  I'm sure some people can hear the difference, especially with
high-end equipment, but found that most people who think they can hear
the difference can't really :-)