[internetworkers] Sometimes it pays to get your facts straight

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Wed Oct 6 12:34:29 EDT 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:

> Dave you are incorrectly inferring that by posing the question I was
> suggesting something sinister on the part of democrats.
>
> I simply found it to be curious and was wondering out loud.  (I was
> also
> being sincere when I said it was a blunder on the part of Cheney.)

Tony,

I was not trying to question the sincerity of your statements, as they
appear consistent with your past sentiments.  However, I was
immediately addressing the possible implication that "something was
amuck" with this site's domain registration and that it was obviously
placed outside of US reach for nefarious reasons.  That is exactly the
message that was transmitted from your keyboard.  Anyone who has read
this list for the past year can "read between the lines" and match up
your intentions with the words posted to the list.

The reason I responded, and the point that I'm trying to drive home, is
that using loaded language to get your point across often does more to
call your opinion into question than to support your ideas.  This is a
problem on a national (if not global scale), both with our elected
officials and with the constituents.

If the goal is spreading misinformation, then use whatever lingo you
desire.  If the goal is to legitimately discuss topics and attempt to
solve problems, then language and intentions must be made painfully
clear for all to see.  We all know it can be just as misleading to
leave out important facts as it can be to completely fabricate
information.  In this case, we don't even know that Soros owns this
domain or pretty much anything about it.  The inference that he owns it
(or scooped it up quickly based upon Cheney's blunder) and then made
the point to redirect those web requests to his own site is both quite
loaded, as well as lacking some significant details.

That's about all I have to say on that topic.  I hope it was clear.
dave m.