[Homestead] Homeschool ? (was Clan Question

Kathyann Natkie knat at sprintmail.com
Tue Feb 22 09:37:36 EST 2005

Correct. My last unschooler "graduated" and is uncolleging now. So I do
not technically "homeschool" any more (funny how when we were
homeschooling lessons at 3:30p counted but now they don't.) My youngest
wants the kind of school we believe should be, so we opened a Public
Charter School last September. Thus, I still hang sometimes with my
"homeschooling" friends or tutor "homeschoolers" while writing up for
the school: students asked not to attend (coded by state as
"homeschool"), students doing independent projects at home (coded by
state as "homeschool" or "alternate attendance"), and those too ill to
attend (coded by state as "homebound.")"Homeschool by school" must take
statewide assessments, "homeschool by parents" must not, "homebound" is
at our discretion based on child's health. Meanwhile, we (the school)
cannot accept part-time "homeschool" students who wish only some of what
we offer and whose parents want to retain control. Kinda gives me every
"homeschool" in my vocabulary. :)

Kathyann
(course we also have families politically opposed to statewide
standardized testing exempting their children from testing)