[Homestead] And weird tree, was homesteading stuff

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Mon Feb 21 10:36:22 EST 2005

>O.K., speaking of trees, we have a REALLY weird one on the front 3 acres.
>It looks like an old white oak.  Has a couple of branches up towards the
>top that look like white oak.  The bark looks like white oak.  However, it
>has a bunch of sucker type growth at the base and in bunches hither and
>yon up the trunk that look like someone crossed a coast oak with a holly
>tree.  Real spiney, pokey nasty leaves!  Anyone know what the heck this
>thing is?

It is a really, really naughty oak tree that has had relations with many
cousins.

A few years ago I finally, with a big sigh, cut down a tall oak in the
Heartwood front yard that was, well, ugly. It's primary value was that the
pileated woodpeckers used it as a demonstration venue, providing much porch
entertainment. It was impossible to determine its genetic structure, beyond
quercus. Had characteristics of several oaks. Interbreeding does stuff like
that. Positively shameful.

I shaped the bottom five feet into a throne, on which I sit and contemplate
the old shack and woods beyond. My kingdom.