[Homestead] homesteading stuff

djwarren at aeneas.net djwarren at aeneas.net
Mon Feb 21 10:13:33 EST 2005

Quoting keith bellinger <bartermn at epix.net>:

> > What homestead-y type things anyone up to?

I don't know where this qualifies as a homestead thing.

My house, built in the 30,s with floor "joists" made of whole trees, is
riddled with termites.  In spite of years of termite treatment, the damage
continued and last spring I had to have the sills replaced with treated lumber
and treated floor joist added.  They did not remove the trees, saying that the
whole floor would have to be removed if they did that.  I now have a different
company doing the pest control work.

So here is the project. The floors are so damaged along the tree line, that
they crunch and sink when stepped on.  I cannot spend much more on the floors,
so I have bought some 1/2 inch mdf and had it cut into 16 inch "planks" at the
store.  I am now in the process of priming them and will paint them as time
permits.  I will lay them on top of the existing floor.  I am 78 years old, so
the floor does not have to last for too much longer.  20 years or so is long
enough.

Donna, West Tennessee  where the main natural resources are red clay and
termites.