[Homestead] Cost of College

Bill Jones billj at harborside.com
Sun Feb 20 14:28:13 EST 2005

That's what I made, almost.  For a single male in the City it was like
being rich.  I never looked at the amount of taxes taken out.

Actually our class size was higher.  I never calculated in real terms
what fraction of the college's dollar was actually going to me, but
since I was at the lower end of the pay scale (doing it mostly out of
love), with the higher class size (they're paid by the body) I suspect
that only about 25% of the take went to the teacher.

English and math are in a class by themselves, almost, with large
amounts of detailed homework that need correcting.  But most college
math teachers don't grade all the homework (checking every last pencil
stroke would be ideal), since there's no specific requirement to do so.
It's highly correlated with the bestowal of tenure, whereupon no one
looks over their shoulder.  Many have a system where they grade just a
few of the assigned problems in detail, but don't tell the kids exactly
which problems, so if you don't do the hardest ones you'll likely fail
the assignment.  But it's pointless anyway at the lower levels to grade
homework, since there are published solution manuals that one can just copy.

You're quite correct.  The $5 billion spent on lower-end college in CA
is just the beginning.  Many more prima donnas await in the CSU and UC
systems, but I have no data on the expenditures.  But I've observed (as
a student) that people with Ph. D. degrees are routinely teaching
everyday beginning calculus, when the same topic is easily taught by
anyone with a master's degree (or lower, in the event of real
competence) for much less salary.  But in fact you find the opposite.
Over the years the CSU and UC have been purged of anyone with "only" an
M. S., and the CCC has been similarly purged of anyone with "only" a B.
S.  And you'll find another parallel; collectively those low-level
courses (that could easily by taught by someone one degree lower) are
typically more numerous in the class schedule (especially when measured
in terms of units, rather than sections) than upper-division or graduate
courses.

I just always wonder why we can't open up the teaching profession to all
those who can, instead of dogmatically choosing teachers on the details
of their sheepskin.  Albert Einstein wouldn't have been allowed anywhere
near an elementary classroom, in the world created by the teachers'
unions, because he (I surmise) didn't have an elementary ed. teaching
credential.  Who knows, he might have made a bad teacher.  But why
wouldn't one want to at least give him a try?

Bill