[Homestead] 79-year-old woman charged in cane attack

Melody O. melody at crecon.com
Thu Feb 17 13:07:27 EST 2005

Sorry, but I had to post this!  It must be my wicked sense of humor, but
this is hilarious!  No need to worry about some old ladies......

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/02/16/79_year_old_woman_char
ged_in_cane_attack/

79-year-old woman charged in cane attack
February 16, 2005

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A 79-year-old woman has been charged with using her
wooden cane to strike police officers who arrived at her home to check on
her welfare.

St. Joseph County prosecutors said the officers came to investigate a
possible domestic abuse charge against Betty Chambers' live-in caretaker,
Thomas Holleman, 57.

As the officers tried to handcuff Holleman, Chambers allegedly struck
Officer Lonny Foresman over the head with her cane, prosecutors said.

Foresman suffered a mild concussion while Sgt. John Pavlekovich suffered a
separated shoulder and hand injury, said Jaimee Thirion, a spokeswoman for
St. Joseph County police.

Prosecutors charged Chambers and Holleman on Tuesday with resisting law
enforcement and battery.

"This is a serious concern because police are there to protect all of us,"
said St. Joseph County Prosecutor Michael Dvorak.

A phone number listed under Chambers' name at her address had been
disconnected.