[Homestead] NOW, was An Aussie View of Bush

Lynda lurine at softcom.net
Fri Feb 11 20:29:09 EST 2005

This isn't from Australia but I'm sure that our resident guinea pig herder
(y'all know, the one that whines about everything) will find some way to
turn it either against CA or to toss in one of his plastic girl (bitchy)
comments against me.

Lynda

>  ==================================================================
 This week on NOW:

* Backdoor draft?  NOW examines  the Pentagon's controversial tactics to
put more troops on the  ground in Iraq in THE CALL UP.

* Troop's eye  view.  Get a close-up look at the efforts in one
beleaguered  town south of Baghdad to shift from U.S. troops to newly
trained  Iraqi troops in A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW.

 THE CALL UP

As war rages on, the U.S. Army is  desperately short of troops to secure
Iraq.  But are the  Pentagon's policies to keep up troop levels going too
far?   NOW reports on how the Pentagon has been forced to resort to what
critics call a backdoor draft to deal with the severe troop shortage.  The
program examines the debate over these hard-line tactics, like extending
tours of duty and reactivating semi-retired soldiers, and looks at their
effects on families.  The program features  semi-retired Army Major Rick
Howell, who recently was stunned to  learn that he's been called up to
serve.  "I have not been to  a single day of military training in eight
years and they want me  to go back and be on active duty," he says.  "That's
a  disservice to not only this country, but to those young men and
women...who are being thrown into these units."

 A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW

With talk of troop departure in  the wake of the Iraqi election, NOW goes on
the ground with the  24th Marine Expeditionary Unit in an area south of
Baghdad known as  the Triangle of Death.  Alongside Iraqi National Guard and
police there, these Marines have battled tenacious and resilient  rebels to
a standstill.  But how well would the Iraqis perform without America's help?
Get a soldier's view of the fighting and  an insider's look at the gap
between the hopes and reality of the  war.

NOW continues online at PBS.org (www.pbs.org/now).  Log on to the  site for
a Q and A with NOW correspondent Bill Gentile about his  time with the 24th
Marine Expeditionary Unit in Iraq; to learn more  about the debate over the
shape of a post-9/11 military; to get  information on the Stop Loss order
and the role of the National  Guard and the Reserves in Iraq; to use an
interactive map and find  out if local units in your area are being
deployed; to find  resources for veterans and military families; and more.

Hosted by David Brancaccio, NOW has been called "...one of the last
bastions of serious journalism on TV" by the Austin-American Statesmen and
"...public television at its best" by the Philadelphia  Inquirer. Each week,
the series sheds light on a wide range of  issues confronting the nation and
explores American democracy and  culture through investigative reporting and
interviews with major  authors, leading thinkers, and artists.

 www.pbs.org/now/newsletter.html.