[Homestead] It is happening

Lisa Perry lkvp at floydva.net
Tue Feb 8 11:30:32 EST 2005

Don Bowen wrote:

> Sub prime?
>
> Loans for the less credit worthy borrowers.
>
>> Let's see $500k at 30 years....
>> At 4% it's 2378.03/month comes out to 859.347.53 over the life of the
>> loan

I shudder to think.  The first and most important definition of
'subprime' is for those with an average credit score of less than 620.
Average doesn't mean you take all 3 scores and use the median score, it
means which ever score is in the middle from the 3 credit bureaus is the
score lenders use.  A 500k mortgage is a jumbo loan which carries
approximately a .50 higher interest rate than a regular (non-jumbo) 30
year mortgage loan.  In my area, to secure a 4% rate for a 3 year ARM
loan (Adjustable Rate Mortgage loan) you'd have to pay 1.50% just to buy
down to that rate.  You should only get an ARM if you plan to move in
the next few years, i.e. a 3 year ARM and move/sell before your 36
months is up.   If you plan to keep your home longer than 3 years or are
uncertain, then stick with a 30 year fixed rate loan.  I detest subprime
loans and am thankful that 90% of my business is 'conventional'.  Today
I'm quoting 5.625% for a 30 year conventional mortgage loan in Virginia,
however rates vary in regions throughout the country.  Add 1.5-2+% to
the going market rate for your area to get a valid subprime rate,
depending on the loan-to-value, your credit score, any outstanding
non-medical collections, if you have had a bankruptcy in the past (which
type--Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 and how long ago it was disbursed) and a
few other factors.

Lisa