[Homestead] Sources on polybags for superadobe

tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Fri Feb 4 21:19:01 EST 2005

http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk  (this guy has been building a superadobe house for several years---look at the floor plan--this is really a cluster strudcture---to eliminate any wood in the roof and provide mutual lateral
support.  Unfortunately the link to the equipment used to fill th superadobe bags is broken.

      ome thoughts on bags

I have worked with three types of bags. The first one being the
Cal-Earth bags which are a single bag on a large roll. I think these
bags are great but the cost for this is something like $850 plus
shipping. In the interest of reducing costs and learning more about this
style of building I have tried some burlap bags and the single poly
bags. The bulap bags are very nice and plaster very easy, but the cost
is a bit more than the polly bags and the source I had wasn't very
reliable. These bags cost more than the Cal-Earth single roll. Now the
poly bags which are the same material as the Cal-earth roll except that
they are individual bags vs one long roll. McDowell Industries, Inc out
of Memphis Tenn sells misprints. The cost seems to vary based on
availabilty and quantity purchased. The cost can be about 10 to 20 cents
a bag if purchase by the thousands. Sounds like a lot but if you're
building a house the go fast. Plus I use them to store about everything.
Thus in conclusion, I would have to say my favorite bag is the Single
roll as from Cal-earth (McDowell sells these as well) but I have started
using the misprints and I will more than likely stick with these for the
remainder of the building.
You can contact them at:
McDowell Industries, Inc
711 Linden Ave
P.O.Box 2087
Memphis, Tenn 38101
Phone number: 1-800-354-0242
(ask for Scott Fleuer and tell him Pat from Georgia sent you). I figure
a few brownie points in the bag business wouldn't hurt!
If you have a product or service you would like to post here then email
me (see button at top) and I'll see what I can do.

Latter
Pat