[Homestead] Morning thought

Clansgian at wmconnect.com Clansgian at wmconnect.com
Wed Feb 2 19:32:00 EST 2005

> You are wrong James.  You can roll over money from a given year to the next
> year.  For example, federal block grants for education are routinely rolled
> over.  Title IX grants are routinely rolled over.

Ah,  looking at 'spending' that way, yes, I would be wrong.  But when I refer 
to spending, I mean Congress disbursing the money.  By my defintion, for 
example, once the money is under the control of the grantee, it is spent.  Were 
the case not as you state (ie, 'roll over' not possible), it would be a matter 
of the grantee giving back the unused part rather than the money having not 
been spent.

SS though has no such 'roll over' of funds.  It must specifically disburse 
the funds or purchase a type of T-Bill from the treasury specially created only 
for the SS.  Congress then spends that ... in the view of spending that it 
disburses it in the budget and then has no way of it being returned to 
congressional control.


More information about the Homestead mailing list