[Homestead] Morning thought

Melody O. melody at crecon.com
Wed Feb 2 17:10:55 EST 2005

At 10:41 AM 2/2/05 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/2/2005 10:17:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>genegerue at ruralize.com writes:
>

>> If investing in stocks and bonds is superior to the present system, why
>> doesn't the government simply invest our Social Security funds there?
>>

>For one simple reason, it's against the law.

Yet another reason why it would be wrong is it --oh man, I can't think of
the word I want- well, it screws up free enterprise.

Now I already know that the government (feds, state, local) already tampers
with this principles what with all of the subsidies, grants, and laws, but
as it stands, the government doesn't *own* businesses.  When you allow the
feds to invest in a business and they become a stock-holder, they have a
lot of clout with the running of the business.  It would be a
slippery-slope to keep any bit of free enterprise if they could invest.

Best wishes,
Melody