[Homestead] mistake in Iraq was:Era of unease.

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 30 22:24:41 EDT 2004

At 9/30/2004, you wrote:
>Most were in Viet Nam for a multitude of reasons; most likely thought
>their own opinions were right (although I have known quite a few who had
>no idea what their opinion was),

This was my case.  I was in the Navy to escape a drunken father on a failed
dirt farm and because I could not afford college.  I enlisted in May of
1964 and spent two cruises over there.  Between the cruises I looked into
the matter and decided that it was the wrong policy.  I completed my tour
but only because of some misguided sense of responsibility.  As soon as I
got out I expressed my opinion and continue to do so.  That was a misguided
attempt for France under De Gaul to retain its colonies and developed into
a misguided opportunity for politicians and the military to prove it was
not soft on communism.

The war on Iraq is also a very misguided mistake for the US to throw its
might around in a world where no one is big enough to really oppose
it.  That opposition comes in the only form it has any hope of succeeding
in and that is terrorism.  I was against the war in the beginning and still
against it even more as our casualty count goes over 10,000.  I cannot
bring my self to vote for Kerry even as much as I so totally dislike the
dummy & co.  He is more of the same wrapped in a slightly more humanitarian
package.

Iraq was a mistake, is a mistake, and always will be a mistake and will not
bring on the much desired Pax Americana.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com