[Homestead] Getting out of hospital alive, Golden Staph, necrotizing fasciitis,

Lisa Perry lkvp at floydva.net
Thu Sep 30 10:16:22 EDT 2004

Tvoivozhd wrote:

> Doctors worry as drug-resistant staph infects more healthy people
>
> By LINDA A. JOHNSON
> Associated Press
> (snip)
> The cause? Staph, a bacteria better known for causing skin boils
> easily treated with standard antibiotic pills.

My sister's youngest spent 6 days in the hospital when she was not quite
two-weeks old, due to a staph infection acquired after her birth at the
very hospital where she was born.
A couple of the days were pretty hairy, she was given a couple of
different antibiotics that didn't do anything to get it under control,
it took a third, even stronger antibiotic to finally take care of it.

Situations like this shake my belief, what little I have, in the medical
establishment.  I don't have the statistic handy (or memorized--nothing
stays memorized for me these days), but I have read that close to 25% of
the people admitted to a hospital become worse due to what they are
exposed to during their stay.

Lisa