[Homestead] Home workshop tools, equipment, some distantly-related

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Wed Sep 29 18:14:35 EDT 2004

Distantly related, but useful tools and products---the penalty you have
to pay for my disorganized mind.  Some good moneymakers here though.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/Garden/5461/  (homemade tools to
make lapstrake, woodstrip boats.  No plans, just pictures, including
beautiful decked sailing canoe.  These are rarities, bring thousands of
dollars when they come up for sale.)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00126.asp  (run
three-phase electric motors on single-phase current)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00051.asp  (HVLP turbine
paint sprayers)

http://www.ganoksin.com/  (jewelry makers forum on materials, tools,
processes---a must-see website for wannabe jewelry goniffs))

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/homestead/2004-September/000392.html
(since the Homestead archives recently came into being, I keep stumbling
into this stuff on home workshop tools and projects)

http://geoparent.com/home/food/homemadebabyfood.htm  (little far afield,
tools for babies, make your own baby food, with some sage advice on
taking it slow and easy)

http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html (per the recent
Homestead List discussion with James Skeen and Don Bowen on now mostly
useless electronic knowledge and equipment, some newer variants are
alive and well---for example homemade 2.4 GHA Omni Antenna here
http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html   and a
mini-wireless antenna for your laptop in the sidebar reference.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/970606a.cfm  (kid stuff, play-dough and
bubblemaking recipies---latter great for a cheap, animated
attention-getter at flea markets and craft shows.)

http://www.parentsoup.com/havefun/crafts/articles/0,,166506_263285,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=11043104
(more playdough and fingerlicking paint)

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=404
(cam't repeat too often or too much about the utility of a homemade
vacuum-forming machine---the Armorama is tiny, larger two-stage
vacuum-pump and vacuum storage tank which I have posted in the past, are
more practical, more productive and more expensive---there are
occasional uses for a tiny cheapy though)

http://wireless.gumph.org/content/4/3/011-mini-wireless-antenna.html
(and a laptop wireless antennae

http://www.stuartnye.com/about.htm  (dammit, should have incorporated
this article on Depression-Era jwwelrymaking in the previous post.  If
you can make it in a home business during the Depression, you can make
it anytime, anywhere---six mile wide comet permitting)

http://www.righthook.com/fahome.html  (if you're really pissed about Big
Brother and want to keep a low profile until D-Day, books on making your
own automatic weapons and gunpowder)

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/paper/paper.htm  (be a
papermaker, you are surrounded by free-for-the-gathering papermaking
supplies---the most beautiful paper is homemade and any thickness,
texture, color you choose+

http://www.sare.org/publications/core_info.htm  (SARE data on improving
your soil, your garden, fields, farm income, pest-control, composting,,
the cultivation equipment available for the farmer, Creamline for the
small private-consumption or small commercial dairy.  Try it, you'll
like it.)

http://blueribbonwinners.com/generic9.html;$sessionid$JQLDZSIAAART5TZENUGETIWPERWRJPX0
(State Fair List---about 1946 my Mother and i ran a Wisconsin Fair
cafdteria concession, fed four thousand customers a day)

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-composite_bow.html  (make an Asiatic
Composite Bow)

http://pennswoods.net/~zigbug/  (for a lot of homemade woodlot products,
you've GOT to have a bandsaw, whether it is homemade or a WodMizer with
all the bells and whistles, or the take-it-to-the-log
I've had the Rake bandsaw plans for years---now vefy much improved and
more expensive at $1200 for materials---his first version cost $600.

http://www.bmumford.com/cncindex.html  (homebrew CNC machine tools, lie
down and take a nap while the machine does all the work)

http://nv.essortment.com/claytileshandm_rzfz.htm  (homemade baked clay
tiles, stroll into Architects office with samples, into Interior
Designers studios with a picture-tile wall decoration under your
arm---my youngest boy with a large regional floor and wall-covering
business would be interested.)

http://www.flyrockets.com/websites.asp  (I dunno, I posted plans and
prices on a %5000 cruise missile which is the equivalent of any
medium-range U.S. Military cruise-missile---the free plans are no longer
posted on the designers website, bu available for a reasonable fee.
Heres some stuff on less ambitios rocketry)

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/castingpulleys3.html  (casting and
turning a metal vee-belt pulley---click on articles #1 and #2)

http://www.torotrak.com/variator.html  (if ou run a speed-dependent
drive in your small factory, you will have to drive it with a variator.
You can machine a variator, but you won't save any money,these are
pretty cheap. Forgot the brand, but I used to buy them for my factories
as low as $17.95)

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html  (ratio-calculator for
drive and driven pulley)

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=45&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=(daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission)&OS=daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission&RS=(daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission)
(A Chrysler-assigned CVT (continuously variable transmission, no
drawings here, only claims, but you get the
idea)

http://www.gokartsupply.com/tcterms.htm  Comet drive CVT used in
motor-scooters, as I remember Salsbury was the first, or at least one of
the first to do this.)

A CVT is used a lot in an air-to-air whole house heat exchanger, where
you want to fine-tune the the amount of air exhausted and bro brought in
for the correct number of turnovers across a twenty four hour
period---the flow volume depends on the cubic footage of the house)

Also used in stirring liquids where the viscosity changes, or it is
desirable to change the shear-rate of the blades---as in stirring papier
mache, papercrete, mixing paint etc.