[Homestead] Thinking about national well-being

Toni Hawryluk tonihawr at msn.com
Wed Sep 29 13:01:36 EDT 2004

From: Gene GeRue<mailto:genegerue at ruralize.com>
> Seems to me the issue is between trickle-down and building up. The
trickle-down theory seems to depend on the largesse of the few at the top.
The building up is based on a strong foundation.

Again, I reach for real estate to illustrate. Entry-level housing is the
broad foundation of the huge real estate pyramid. Fifty-million-dollar
estates are at the pinnacle. Entry-level houses gain equity, young workers'
income rises; their families enlarge; they buy larger, second-level houses.
This continues over their working lives. Each tier above is narrower than
the one below. And it is the foundation that holds it all up. Build a
stronger, wider foundation and the entire house is the better for it.

When you're right, you're *right* - but not always
"complete".

Beaver activity has been the only 'way' to
'make more land' - land that becomes 'useful'
many years later, and paving over food-raising
land to build houses is the fastest and stupidest
way to ensure a dwindling food supply.

To an uncontrolled birth rate.

And current/future longevity.

Back to real estate as the best 'investment' -
and like the 'survivor' science-fiction I've been
reading for years, one will be forced to defend
more stringently the *producing* land around
it rather than just the residence/contents ....
which certainly equates to community-strength
as in 'chain' - and yet the community'chain' is
as only as strong as its weakest individual'link'.

Toni