[Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree

DSanner106 at aol.com DSanner106 at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 23:52:22 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/28/2004 5:27:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tvoivozd at infionline.net writes:
My oldest daughter is a very talented mathematician. Her first female
math teacher did her damndest to discourage my daughter from taking
mathematics---said it was not a proper vocation for women. My daughter
was stubborn, went to the Principal to get the teacher off her
back---and went on to study mathematics and statistics under a different
teacher, the underpinning of her Project Manager, Systems Analyst and
Compliance Manager work for the past five years or so---doing some
things I cannot comprehend at all.

If I had known about this dum-dum teacher I would have blown my
stack---I suppose I would have learned about if my daughter had been
unable to solve the teacher problem on her own---maybe preventing a
homicide. I've always been pretty serious about my kids learning
anything and everything in which they were interested. .

I agree, and this is a problem faced by not only women but men as well. My
wife
is a Nurse and Nursing Professor. While in school, she told me horrible
stories about
how male students were bashed, mistreated, given the worst patients, and
toughest
questions in an effort to drive them out of the program. They were typically
outnumbered
30-1 and would usually be the only male in a given class. The all female
faculty (my wife
still knows just 1 male nurse professor nationwide) panel had to be forced to
admit them
during the review process and really defended nursing as a female profession.
As bad
as the nursing shortage is in this country and others, we can't afford to
turn away any
seeking such a career.

Drew