[Homestead] Thinking about national well-being

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Tue Sep 28 19:18:32 EDT 2004

Gene GeRue wrote:

>> Everyone thinks about their own well-being and quite a few attempt to
>> do something about it.  But few think about how their individual
>> well-being  and that of their children is affected by that huge drag
>> on the economy that is over 35 million poor.
>

> Perhaps it is true that the poor will always be with us. Freedom
> demands that choice.
>
> Universal health care and universal access to profitable education
> should be national goals. If all people have maximal health and
> maximal education, the corresponding national GDP will more than pay
> the cost. Welfare programs and the care and feeding of prisoners will
> be greatly diminished. What do you figure is the chance of it
> happening as long as the DC Whorehouse exists in its present structure?

tvoivozhd, less than zero under a Republican regime.  Unlikely, but
possible under a Democrat regime which at least is not
officially-committed to keeping the poor as poor or poorer. than they
already are.  We dpon't have any viable third parties around which seem
readier to rectify obvious political, economic and social errors.  Nader
succumbed to the all-or-nothing dead end.

Of course INVESTMENT---in bringing a large share of the poor into
wealth-producing status is the only intelligent course of action.  As
far back as I can remember, there was great braying about how Rural Free
Delivery would bankrupt the nation---it didn't---bringing a rural
population into greater prosperity due to connecting farmers with the
rest of society, improved their status, and produced hundreds of
thousands of small businesses to serve them, using the initial medium of
Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward catalogs.