[Homestead] Revealing the truth

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Tue Sep 28 13:09:49 EDT 2004

These are the end graphs of an article to be found at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/28/opinion/28ellsberg.html

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
Truths Worth Telling
By DANIEL ELLSBERG

Published: September 28, 2004

. . . . All administrations classify far more information than is
justifiable in a democracy - and the Bush administration has been
especially secretive. Information should never be classified as secret
merely because it is embarrassing or incriminating. But in practice, in
this as in any administration, no information is guarded more closely.
Surely there are officials in the present administration who recognize that
the United States has been misled into a war in Iraq, but who have so far
kept their silence - as I long did about the war in Vietnam. To them I have
a personal message: don't repeat my mistakes. Don't wait until more troops
are sent, and thousands more have died, before telling truths that could
end a war and save lives. Do what I wish I had done in 1964: go to the
press, to Congress, and document your claims.
Technology may make it easier to tell your story, but the decision to do so
will be no less difficult. The personal risks of making disclosures
embarrassing to your superiors are real. If you are identified as the
source, your career will be over; friendships will be lost; you may even be
prosecuted. But some 140,000 Americans are risking their lives every day in
Iraq. Our nation is in urgent need of comparable moral courage from its
public officials.
Daniel Ellsberg is the author of "Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the
Pentagon Papers."