[Homestead] Homestead survival plan

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Tue Sep 28 00:16:26 EDT 2004

Gene GeRue wrote:

> I changed the subject line so this material is more easily found in
> the archives and copied Tvo's present post below this next piece,
> which he wrote earlier and I saved. Some redundancy of course, but
> that just underlines importance.
>
> Earlier post:
>
> tvoivozhd---as I said before, building a mostly self-sufficient rural
> homestead is the most drastic political statement you can
> make---providing you really do it.

tvoivozhd---Just back from tanking up at the VA----fortunately
AB-Positive is a near-universal recipient..  The post and repost are
generic advice.  I have been only in verbal stage of survival planning
(the income problem)  with my oldest son, who acts as an information
relay-station to his two brothers.  He was down here for a week, and
flew back to Wisconsin last Sunday.
The three boys have a lot of similarities, but have different
businesses, which I suspect will affect their receptiveness to my
advice.  However the oldest "lived engines" when he was eight or
nine---did a better job of disassembling and rebuilding them than I
thought possible---a gratifying surprise, since I did not teach him
anything about model aircraft engines, or for that matter, about
automobile engines..

If I can batter this computer into submission---(problem with RAM sticks
and slots), I'll see what I can come up with MY preferred integrated
rural income solution, allocation of always limited capital and time,
and from which income comes creeping back---both using the Critical Path
Method---don't know if I can post the last, since I have never had the
occasion creating charts on my computer---maybe my oldest daughter will
help me, she does this all the time in her line of work.

I like diversity, so I will include both rural manufacturing and quick,
plus quicker high-profit ag endeavors.  have to remind myself that these
have to include  the  insufficiently emphasized  packaging  and
advertising  flyers, advertising on the package too.  Selling ag
commodities to middlemen was no intellectual challenge, but put the vast
majority of farmers out of business.