[Homestead] Iraq, now this is pretty ugly, Reserve Unit going in without weapons

tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Sun Sep 26 20:35:58 EDT 2004

Yeah it's a training mission, but it reminds me of WWII British training
with crude hand-carved all-wood rifles

Army Sends Weaponless Reserve Unit To Iraq

About 800 members of the 98th Army Reserve Division from Rochester, New
York will begin a year-long mission in Iraq next month.

The unit, which normally trains reserve and active-duty soldiers in the
U.S., will find itself training Iraq’s new army.

The 98th is a non-combat unit that doesn't even have its own weapons or
vehicles.

"This is a hard war and we, frankly, inside the Army Reserve have been
not properly prepared for it,” said Lt. Gen. James Helmly, chief of the
U.S. Army Reserve.