[Homestead] Where to buy was: Wall Street reacts

tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Sun Sep 26 12:51:17 EDT 2004

Don Bowen wrote:

>> Beyond knowledge and tools, the major investment for a serious
>> homesteader is land. Without it, you are improving the investment of
>> someone else. If one chooses to not depend on a pension fund or
>> social security, then one must provide for one's own financial security.
>

> One of the purposes of traveling around in my trailer will be to look
> at land.  I intend to look with the idea of where will I spend the
> rest of my life.  I was something relatively inexpensive which means
> away from major metropolitan and tourist areas.  I want decent
> rainfall or easily available water which unfortunately removes much of
> the west.  I want decent dirt because I do not have the time to build
> up another block of soil.  The good soil does not need to be all that
> much, just enough for a good sized garden.  I want a more temperate
> climate with a long growing season and no extended periods of below
> freezing weather.  So I intend to look around as I wander around.
>
>>  What investment would you suggest that will pay the taxes and
>> utilities, pay for dependable transportation, replace worn-out tools,
>> buy seeds, and, yes, buy a new computer in one's post-working years?
>

> That is an issue I have grappled with and do not have a decent
> answer.    Business decisions and a sudden loss of employment in the
> last 5 years have left me with less than I anticipated.  The actions
> of the thieves in DC have transferred so  much wealth to the wealthy
> that my SSI will be almost meaningless.  So I invest a little in a
> trailer and a couple of years wandering around the country while I
> ponder this issue and where to live.
>
> Don Bowen
> Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
> Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com

tvoivozhd---at least you are seriously examining alternatives in
providing your own security---most people do not do that, or even think
about itl  You are fortunate in having acquired a lot of workshop skills
and a fair amount of tools---both give you a lot more options. Keep on
trucking---especially with the water resources.far enough away from
cities so cities do not confiscate them.