[Homestead] FWD: Tortuga Vanishes - News Links Below

Lisa Perry lkvp at floydva.net
Sat Sep 25 11:55:04 EDT 2004

clhw wrote:

>The disappearance of an island due to Hurricane Jeanne has been posted for 2 days now on another list. No American news sources are reporting it. Has anyone on this list run across this?
>
>Supposedly, 2600 people lived on the island and a helicopter search by a couple of helicopters has failed to locate the island. Is this for real?

Lynn, we watched a news program just a couple weeks back that covered this story, the subject matter dealt with global warming and planet change.  Apparently, they have been relocating island residents from Tortuga to New Zealand over the last several years in anticipation of an event that would ultimately destroy their island home and country.  They showed the island in the story, at high tide parts of it (prior to the hurricane) were covered with water segmenting the island into pieces only accessible by boat.  I don't know if Hurricane Jeanne destroyed the island or not, but it seems likely.

Lisa