[Homestead] Houses, tiny and solar collection

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Fri Sep 24 00:40:18 EDT 2004

Divert from the home manufacturing business series momentarily---to
housebuilding, preferably small ones.

http://www.wauu.de/Arts/Architecture/Minimum_Cost_Housing/ (houses are
too damn big to economically build and maintain, to say nothing of
taxes---make tiny houses act and feel like big ones by opening up
angles, vistas, getting rid of interior partitions and those cursed
second stories, basements with their space-robbing staircases, and
occupant-killing hot, poisonous gases if a fire starts. Make any and all
houses wheelchair-accessile---you may be in a sheelchare next week and
for the rest of your life. Use large,insulated-pane windows (think
French Doors) both to contain heat and provide ventilation---and don't
forget a tall window will only throw light inside twenty feet---beyone
that you should think about transparent roof panels and piping light
inside with fiber optics or cylinders containing reflective mirrors)

http://207.44.246.88/cgi-bin/netoh/page.cgi?g=Arts%2FArchitecture%2FMinimum_Cost_Housing%2Findex.html&d=1
(McGill has always been a pioneer in minimum-cost housing---mostly for
Third World, but applicable in the U.S.)

http://www.mchg.mcgill.ca/mchg/thesis/thlist1.htm  (McGill themes in
greater detail)

http://www.mirago.co.uk/scripts/dir.aspx?cat=Top%2FArts%2FArchitecture%2FMinimum_Cost_Housing
(examples of tiny houses)

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/financial-literacy2004/calculators/MinPayment.asp
(Even if you think it will kill you, pay as you go---a compound interest
mortgage absolutely WILL kill you.  In the unlikely event your house is
too tiny, add-on in stages, also pay-as-you go.)

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/fyh/ratings/why.htm  (minimum cost means
passive solar heat and protection against unwanted summer heat, both
requiring a good insulation factor.  Don't forget termite protection
too---you don't want wood elements collapsing around your ears.)

http://www.womens-finance.com/budget/heatmaxcomfort.shtml  (reduce your
utility costs---it is not to your advantage to make your electric, oil
or gas supplier rich)

http://www.architecture-list.com/Top_Arts_Architecture_Minimum_Cost_Housing.html
(minimum cost housing web links)

http://www.akf.dk/eng/wind0.htm  (the economics of wind-electricity in
Denmark---which has elimated its reliance on fossil fuel to two percent)

http://www.super-e.com/html/english/general/gen-what.html  (other
countries have more fervently embraced energy-efficient than the U.S.
Canada and Japan among them.)

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=19057  (low-cost
discussion forum suggestions---stay away from anything with asbestos in
the name---and pounding dirt in tires is too labor-intensive.)

http://features.aroundcarolina.com/architecture/shotgun.asp  (shotgun
houses, Yoruba heritage)

http://www.nahn.com/hph.htm  (cold-climate housing, recapture heat from
exiting air with a heat-exchanger to you don't pay twice for heatin it.)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5830575/site/newsweek/  (bedZED houses)

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:FjkVV6IjyvsJ:www.indianembassy.org/indiainfo/india_2000/chapters/chp17.pdf+minimum+cost+houses&hl=en
(Panchayat programs---some of the most brilliant, economical and
practical housing illustrations occur in India)

http://www.fas.org/housing/eps.htm  (extremely low cost, durable Afghan
houses)

http://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/html/houses.html  (Habitat For
Humanity houses take many forms---most cheaper than better than
stickbuild U.S. Habitat For Humanity homes)

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~liz/design.html  (passive solar Florida Cracker
House)

http://solarsensedesigns.com/  (small, 1040 sq. feet passive solar,
passive cooling house---don't use cooling air tubes any place except a
dry climate---think mold, allergies and Legionaires Disease)

http://www.toolbase.org/tertiaryT.asp?DocumentID=2103&CategoryID=1435
(passive solar air preheater for south-facing walls)

http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/timeline.htm

http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/designs.htm#plan2  (open up the angles,
don't be afraid to enlist a college professor and his architectural
student class, or post on an architectural student bulletin board a
first, second, maybe third prize for redoing your favorite house design.)

http://www.ki7xh.com/house.htm  (probably too-expensive for yor or me,
but some interesting features)

http://www.mountainhomeshow.com/houseplans/mypageDiary2.htm  (this is
even more interesting and described in greater detail---a two-story
house though, which I despise)

http://www.envirolink.org/articles/jul97-1.html  (erector set with a
roof for $10,000, by Pliny Fisk, the best of the best)

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/fh_toc_123.asp  (good small houses
described in Taunton Press, Fine Homebuilding 1999 magazine)

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/fh_toc_147.asp  (2002 Fine
Homebuilding magazine---have your librarian get a bunch of them for you)

http://www.buildinggreen.com/elists/furnacefree.cfm  (your furnace-free
house in chilly Vermont)

http://www.lib.snow.edu/ageofcollectionaug2002/augage2002Page921.html
(long list of houses you can get from your librarian on interlibrary
loan---don't know a thing about them, except every time I hear Frank
Lloyd Wright my ears prick up---spent a lot of weekends at Spring Green
talking to Olga in Russian, and FLW in English.)

http://www.housealive.org/article_sand-straw-clay.htm  (cob, Fix-all,
wattle and daub)

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/groups/simpleliving/jayshafer/naturalhome200011-12.htm
(Tumbleweed in Natural Home magazine)

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/renewable-energy/solar/general-info/msg00255.html
(Nick Pine, one of the quickest and most competent numbers-men I have
ever run across, expert on solar chimneys, thermal storage in concrete
septic tanks under a house.  Back in 1997 and for a few years later when
I was on many energy and construction forums, I had voluminous
correspondence with Nick) Look him up, he has lots of stuff in his
persoal archives.)

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/03.13.03/greenbuilding-0311.html
(465 sq. foot portable dome---I like cluster domes---used to be a
cluster at University of Wisconsin that friends lived in and
loved---lots of light, views and idiot-simple, cheap to make---lot
easier to make and much more useful than a giant, single dome.)

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/current-issues/archive/2001/septoct01/canyon.htm
(house built into a canyon rock wall, Natural Home magazine_