[Homestead] Cutting celery -

Toni Hawryluk tonihawr at msn.com
Thu Sep 23 17:53:30 EDT 2004

tvoivozhd---don't know.  Quite a few seed catalogs carry Cutting Celery,
call it Afina.  Here's one---I have grown Celeriac too, which is good
for soups and some French recipes I have not attempted
http://www.superseeds.com/continental.htm<http://www.superseeds.com/continental.htm>

The product at that link did not provide a botanical name :

W316. CUTTING CELERY-AFINA  (63 days)
This hardy annual can be used in place of celery and is easier to grow. The fine green leaves and thin hollow stems are especially good to flavor soups and stews. About 18" tall.  Both stocks and leaves are cut at a younger, more tender stage than regular celery. 400 seeds

I tried Afina in Google and was rewarded with many

pages-full of some computer in various languages, so

tried "cutting celery" which provided Apium graveolens,

including a thumbnail photo - unfortunately it did not

enlarge for clarity ....

Herb Cottage Herb Selection<http://www.theherbcottage.com/herbs.html>
.. Common Name, Cutting Celery. Attribute, Annual, tender Perennial. .. Botanical Name, Apium graveolens, var. Common Name, Variegated Cutting Celery, EZ Leaf Celery. ... www.theherbcottage.com/herbs.html<http://www.theherbcottage.com/herbs.html> - 101k - Cached<http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:a2x_U7Dzay0J:www.theherbcottage.com/herbs.html+%22cutting+celery%22&hl=en> - Similar pages<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.theherbcottage.com/herbs.html>

Botanical Name            Apium graveolens

Common Name            Cutting Celery

Attribute           Annual, tender Perennial

Cultural Requirements   Full sun-part shade, average water

Mature size, Spacing     Grows to 10", 8"-10" apart

Other Information         Celery flavor in a parsley-like plant.

Use fresh in salads or add to soups, stews and sauces.

Availability        Anytime Price    Plant: $4.75 each

.. my question now is - with only a 10" long stem,

is this *your* type of cutting celery or will growing

conditions affect the height/length of the stems -

are yours hollow stems like the 18" Afina ?

I have so far been too lazy to plant the cut-off portion

of a stalk of celery - which seems to me would root

the way cutting off a 'generous' portion of an onion's

root section and planting it will grow a second (or more)

onion/onions - a poor woman's "clone", and answer to

'immortal onions' .... try it with your favorite onion.

Toni