[Homestead] - - - who the hell cares.

Toni Hawryluk tonihawr at msn.com
Mon Sep 20 16:25:23 EDT 2004

Tvo sent :
> Each layoff or shutdown has its own immediate cause, but nearly all ultimately can be traced to two powerful forces that reinforce each other: global competition and rapid advances in technology.

I totally freaked out when I read it -
at least one (*government* is *also*
outsourcing *computer* work - on
what might be called 'sensitive' records
where individual privacy is concerned ....
=================

> Working 15-hour days, Scott Clark (snip)
> So he guides his van along the center of the highway, one set of wheels in the right lane and the other in the left. "Gives me a chance if a deer runs in from either direction," he explains.
> At 51, he's left with only a vague hope of getting off the road sometime in the next 20 years.

At 51, his eyesight and reflexes are fading
and driving down the center lane keeping
to a schedule is cutting down his chances
or getting to be 20 years older ....
===========

In the end, Richmond Works was just a shell. The building still sits vacant off the side of Interstate 64 just outside Richmond, a 700,000-square-foot tan tombstone in a weedy field.

OK, Tvo - you're the expert - organize a
combination farmer's market/antique sales/
crafts school-demonstration areas inside
and 'green construction'/edible landscaping
outside ....

Provo finally got a job through a temp agency for $8.50 an hour, less than $18,000 a year and a little more than a third of his pay at Viasystems. He was just getting his life back together when, in November last year, his heart failed him. "My doctor told me, 'You've got a choice: You can work or you can live,' " he said.

*That* is what melts ole Hard-hearted Hannah
here - it seems to me that a great many good
men *are* their 'work' so how can they 'live'
without it ?

Toni