[Homestead] Americans, go home !

Marie McHarry mmcharry at dtnspeed.net
Mon Sep 20 00:41:01 EDT 2004

Ray writes:

<<I have [seen tax breaks].   Gone from employee to self-employed.   All
sorts of tax breaks.
I suggest everyone explore the  possibilities.>>

Been there, done that. Most of you on the list will remember my late (and
deeply missed) husband, Jim. He had the misfortune to have a severe cardiac
condition, and to carry on without constant angina needed about a thousand
dollars worth a drugs each month.

I found it a far better deal to work for the state of Illinois, where I got
excellent health care coverage, than to make a six figure income and write
off everything I could legally write off.

On top of that, the IRS took exception to some of the write-offs and sent me
a fond letter asking for $12 000, unless I preferred them to sell all my
property and other belongings.

<sigh>

Oh well, it's just money, right?

Marie