[Homestead] Patriotism and Pseudo-Patriotism

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Fri Sep 17 15:41:48 EDT 2004

Adlai Stevenson was probably the last intelligent person to make a run
at the Presidency.  The others spend all their time whipping voters into
a frenzy to keep them from a serious consideration  of real issues which
have heavy impact on their lives and fortunes.

"What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to
suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a
patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." - Adlai E. Stevenson
<http://www.bartleby.com/66/57/56457.html>