[Homestead] Viet Nam Architecture

Toni Hawryluk tonihawr at msn.com
Tue Sep 14 15:49:32 EDT 2004

From: Tvoivozhd<mailto:tvoivozd at infionline.net>

> The photo on the far right is one of the earlier thatch roof, woven
> wall-panels typical of tropical architecture.  Windows fold up,
> bamboo-slat floors admit air to sleeping mats, ladder entry usually
> draws up to (not very well) exclude snakes and rodents---for that you
> need metal cones on all poles, and set the poles in water (any kind of
> oil is better) to keep out insects.)  Water rots the poles.

Where's the beef ? er, the URL ??   <g>

Hey, Tvo ? I don't know whether your previous
list of architecture links would show me how
my Ma's house, among others, was built when
she was a kid back in the shifting borders between
Poland/Ukraine/Russia/etc. After numerous
iterations I have a pretty good image in my mind
(such as it is, currently) of the process. But
the adage about "A picture is worth a thousand
words" still applies ..... Thanks ! and I'll be
clicking on those links later ....

Toni