[Homestead] Vernacular Architecture

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Tue Sep 14 17:10:21 EDT 2004

tvoivozhd---sniff, sob---can't find the magnificent rural farmhouse on
stilts that I lost on a dead hard drive---kampung or kampong should
bring it up on search engine, but it doesn't, only stilthouses over
tidall flats.  Oh, well, may stumble across it by accident as usual if I
keep wandering around..

http://www.vernaculararchitectureforum.org/  (vernacular architecture
forum from all over the U.S. and around the world)

http://www.greatbuildings.com/types/styles/vernacular.html  (long list
of vernacular architecture dwellings---one of my favorites, the original
mobile home, is a Chinese Junk)

http://www.caerlas.demon.co.uk/building.htm  (short wall-ties of
Lowlands, very sketchy information that some day may be filled out)

http://www.home.worldcom.ch/~negenter/211Oliver_Vernacular.html (Paul
Oliver Encyclopedia---most comprehensive source in the world, but damned
expensive---try to get from your library from their interlibrary loan
program)

http://www.rcahmw.org.uk/vernacular/  (Wales---churches are pretty, but
small, well-designed buildings are more relevant to the small builder
and small homeowner)

http://www.museums.org.za/vassa/  (South Africa specimens are worth
examining, other sections of Africa have more diversity.  See the
Publications section as a point of departure, from which you will have
to do a lot of digging.)

http://www2.newpaltz.edu/~knappr/  (China Vernacular Architecture)

http://www.math.ufl.edu/math/biblio.html  (Search the bibliography with
Waise, Glimpse, FTP)

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/vernacular.html  (Berkely is an
excellent source of vernacular architecture information)

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/copy.htm  (University of
Missouri, look under Research for publications to download for free)

http://www.zambiaarchitecture.com/  (Zambia data)

http://www.zambiaarchitecture.com/Wizards/testnavigation9_09_01/constructionnavigation.htm

http://www.zambiaarchitecture.com/Wizards/testnavigation9_09_01/constructionnavigation.htm
(British Isles pictures)

http://www.skopelos.net/forsale/skopelos-book.htm  (Skipelos, Aegean
vernacular architecture)

http://www.worthingtonm.freeserve.co.uk/vag/DYERVA.htm  (Christopher
Dyer, interesting history notes)

http://www.scarp.ubc.ca/plan545b/quanzhou/vocab.htm  (Quangzhou data)

http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/bubyhavearar.html  (Steen and Komatsu
"Built By Hand"---compendium second only to Paul Oliver
Encyclopedia---pretty expensive at $50 new, try e-Bay, or library on
interlibrary loan.---and look at the sidebar for specifics)

http://www.di-ve.com/dive/portal/portal.jhtml?id=113193&pid=160  (click
plates and "view image" to see Maltese Apiary before Tracheal Mites,
Varroa and hive beetles decimated worldwide bee populations and beekeepers.)

http://imageserver.library.unr.edu/cgi-bin/pbrowse.exe?&CISOROOT1=/barns&CISOOP=thumbnail&CISORESTMP=/qbuild/barnsbrowse1.html&CISOVIEWTMP=/qbuild/barnstemplate2.html&CISOROWS=2&CISOCOLS=5
(Nrvada 120 building collection not all that primitive---Nevada is not
blessed with rainfall and forests for building material)

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/GG/cbg1.html
(German Vernacular in Texas Hill Country---they occasionally did adopt
the more climae-suitable Dogtrot house, but mostly the big, square
format better suited to a cold climate, not that of Texas)

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/heritage/vern.htm  (County Kerry vernacular, get
your much needed Gaelic lesson too.)

http://www.fetchbook.info/fwd_topics/id_1517341.html  (new and used
Vernacular Architecture books)

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=16-0823031993-1  (and of
course, Powell's Books)

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/TT/cbtut.html
(TexMex Vernacular)

http://www.aviewoncities.com/zzbooks/showproduct.php?asin=156164014X&type=other
(Fllrida Cracker wood-frame)

http://www.ribabookshops.com/site/viewtitle.asp?pid=831  (New Vernacular
architecture, some resemblance to old, but using commercial building
materials)

http://www.art-history.com/acatalog/MEDIA_FOR_THE_ARTS_MONUMENTAL_AND_VERNACULAR_ARCHITECTURE_OF_PAKISTAN_1071.html
(Pakistan Vernacular---I'd like to see this, but not two hundred
dollar's worth)

http://libinfo.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/vernacular.html
(Arkansas vernacular,many photographs.)

http://www.pierreseche.com/VAFranceEnglish.html  (French Vernacular)

http://www.penasco.com/02vernac.html  (Mexican Adobe revival)

http://www.penasco.com/news.html  (El Futuro Archives, some on
construction, ost not, ut very interesting)

http://revelle.net/lakeside/radiant.html  (recovering wastewater heat
loss with gypcrete

http://climatecontrol.articleinsider.com/108729_gypcrete.html  (using
gypcrete, allow for loss of headroom, and increased weight on floor
structure if any--no problem with a slab.

http://www.angelfire.com/nm2/swdesert/photocompadobe.html  (a must-read
website---Dr. Bilge Isik is the foremost world authority on gypsum-adobe
mixtures)

http://listserv.repp.org/pipermail/strawbale/1998-January/015399.html
(one of my old posts relating to Bilge Isik, if links still
alive---note, gypcrete sets up too damned fast, have to add a
decellerator to give you enough time to work.)

http://atlas.cc.itu.edu.tr/~isikb/class2.html  (Alker, the Turkish term
for gypsum-adobe mixes)