[Homestead] Mining companies, pollution forever

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Sat Sep 11 10:59:46 EDT 2004

>Seven thousand miles of West Virginia waterways irrevocably poisoned,
>containment dams bursting, arsenic forever in western states groundwater,
>many times higher than EPA limits---and the same wherever they go in
>foreign countries.

Corrective action to fix past ignorance requires current intelligence.
Contrast that formula with the below. I have recently read confirmation of
what this article introduces.

Superfund slows down - Bush to blame, says report (published on 15-Aug-2003)
The Bush Administration is risking the health of millions of Americans
through the slowing down of contaminated land clean ups through Superfund,
a report by a US public interest group has alleged.
Five hundred and twenty-two Superfund clean-ups could be delayed or stopped
due to lack of funding, according to Cleanup Slowdown: How Underfunding the
Superfund Programme Harms Communities Across America. The study, produced
by the US Public Interest Research Group (USPIRG), also highlights the
present Presidency’s unwillingness to reinstate the ‘polluter pays’ fees –
leaving an increased burden on the taxpayer for cleanups.
Superfund, administered by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
was set up in 1980 to investigate and cleanup, hazardous waste sites
nationwide.
The study estimates that between 2001 and 2004 the programme will be
underfunded by a total of US$1.2 to US$1.8 billion. It says that in the
late 1990s the EPA was cleaning an average of 87 sites per year, but in the
past two years that number has been decreased by nearly 50%.

Full story at:
http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?id=7397&channel=0