[Homestead] Stress, copers and non-copers

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Sat Sep 11 10:53:44 EDT 2004

>"Some of it is genetic, some of it is how you were raised, and some it is
>just your personality," Dr. Bruce McEwen, director of the
>neuroendocrinology laboratory at Rockefeller University, said.

"Just your personality"? How unhelpful.

My non-professional observation is that self-image is everything. With a
strong self-image based on multiple past accomplishments, a child or adult
can keep striving toward a goal without succumbing to stress even though
they suffer serious and prolonged setbacks. Smart parents stage small
successes and build on them.