[Homestead] Pacific island navigation was:Husking a coconut, removing the meat

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 10:46:01 EDT 2004

At 9/10/2004, you wrote:
> > wrote about in "The Great Navigator".
>
>Is that the book about the South Sea Islander
>who counts the waves and knows ocean currents ?
>(I could be confusing it with Kon-tiki ...)

South Sea Navigation uses star courses.  Each route has a name and both a
rising and a setting star.    Sea currents, floating items, birds, etc are
used to determine how far from land they are.  Local waves, winds, and
counting crests are used to determine drift.

> > how to get grants to document the carving
> > Don Bowen
>
>Grant-writing is taught in some Community Colleges ....
>I don't remember if it's a "regular" course or one of
>the ones provided as "Continuing Education".

As soon as I settle in, I plan to research this some more.  They are still
trying to get me to just come over for 6 months and observe the canoe
carving but I would like to have the money to get the local college to film
the process.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com