[Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Thu Sep 9 20:45:52 EDT 2004

>Hope they do come up with a cold-hardy bamboo. Then northerners can see
>for themselves what we southerners put up with in kudzu. I hope this
>non-native species gets a little more thought than kudzu did. It may be
>more useful, but it's just as invasive.

That's why none is now growing at Heartwood. I have long wanted to grow
bamboo for various construction uses but will not plant any until I am
certain that I will not become the bamboo nursery for the White River
watershed. I do have an area bounded by stream and steep hillside where I
believe it would stay contained. But I need lots more smarts before taking
the chance. Kudzu is only one of the horrors that serve as cautions. In my
part of the world multiflora rose was pushed by the extension agents. It is
now considered an invasive pest. Same with certain olive species. Same with
some fishes.