[Homestead] get up before the chickens, go to sleep ....

Toni Hawryluk tonihawr at msn.com
Thu Sep 9 19:09:01 EDT 2004

From: Walter H.Jeffries<mailto:Highlands at blacklightning.com>

> we have a bright moon

Excuse me, but the article was discussing artificial light :

London : http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/photoinfo.pl?PHOTO=ISS006-E-22939<http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/photoinfo.pl?PHOTO=ISS006-E-22939>

U.S. east coast : http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/photoinfo.pl?PHOTO=ISS006-E-18382<http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/photoinfo.pl?PHOTO=ISS006-E-18382>

I cannot locate the global image I had
at one time, but this is how much light
pollution city dwellers suffer in *one*
city *every night* of *every year* and
*havebeen* for years, getting lighter, too,
as populations spread.  And this is *outside*.
If you can't get away from artificial light
*inside* and you can't get away from
artificial light *outside* - there is no more
real *night* in many places in the world.

Had I been able to locate the global image,
you would have seen there are *few* places
on Earth where even migrating birds can find
a place to sleep - moreover they are having
trouble navigating and are flying into power
transmission lines, etc.

Toni