[Homestead] Debt, I think, but I forget what the subject was . . .

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Mon Sep 6 17:50:37 EDT 2004

  . . . because I replied to one of Tvozglub's sends from the NYT and it
went to him but bounced back to me. What's the world coming to?

The same holds for consumers. All kinds of wild cards that
are scary even in placid times - another spike in gas
prices, a rupture of the housing bubble, fresh job losses,
a period of sustained inflation - become nightmares during
times of greater leverage. So as we go to bed with our
suppers and our home-equity lines of credit, Professor
Goolsbee says: "I think we should be a little nervous."

Where's a Bill Clinton when we need him? The surplus he provided has been
spent and we now have big debt that is getting bigger and are offered
hopeful promises that lower taxes will solve the problem. I will not depend
on that. As USA debt grows and we must increase borrowing from other
countries they will demand higher interest. That will drive consumer
interest rates higher. If you don't have a good interest rate on your
mortgage, consider doing it now. These are the good old days.