[Homestead] Re: Home Business, Hypertufa repost

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Mon Sep 6 17:29:34 EDT 2004

sasha wrote:

>On Monday 06 September 2004 12:29 am, Tvoivozhd wrote:
>

>>I'm pretty sure the prior Hypertufa post didn't make it into the
>>archives.  Hypertufa products are, however a very good home business.
>>

>Can  paper (like in papercrete) be used instead of peat mos?
>
>Sasha

tvoivozhd---I think it could, at least in part, and there are other
natural fibers which should work better than paper, which has very short
fiber.  Papercrete is very easy to produce, all you need to do is whip
newspaper and water together with a  motor-driven propellor or
multi-bladed mixer, drain off excess water and add Portland Cement.

Peat moss has ideal characterists for hypertufa product appearance, but
almost no tensile strength, other fibers are used to provide tensile
strength where required, and acrylic latex lends strength also.

It seems to me that various kinds of grass, straw or cornstalk leaves if
chopped or run through a powered shredder having a large-diameter
screen,  three-quarter or one-inch, would produce a fiber that could be
used as a substitute for peat moss..  Any of these grasses etc., would
have to be dried before shredding.

You would have to experiment to see what variety grass would work
best----I don't know what kind grasses you have in Serbia, here we have
a waxy-exterior very strong and resistant to weather-degradation fescue,
finer and less strong orchard-grass, (clover and alfalfa which probably
wouldn't be worth a damn).  Farther south they have Bermuda Grass whidh
would certainly merit experimentation, as would perennial ryegrass or
rye stems---don't know whether you would have to remove the rye leaves
or not.

Make up some six-inch square test plaques of different thickness to
abuse with a wire brush to see how closely they resemble peat-moss mixes
in strength and appearance.  You might come up with something better.