[Homestead] statistics - how-to lie with numbers

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 15:29:53 EDT 2004

At 9/5/2004, you wrote:
>I had the "correct" site bookmarked at one time showing   'how figures
>lie'  by inclusion/exclusion/juggling -

Back in my college statistics class, one required reading was the book "How
to Lie With Statistics", author's name long forgotten.  It and another book
by the same author "How to Take a Chance" did more to show how by
manipulation numbers can be forced in just about any conclusion you
want.  Unemployment statistics have become more unreliable by the year
since about the mid 80s.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com