[Homestead] School victims, Putin response

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Sat Sep 4 15:40:58 EDT 2004

There are only two ways to really stop guerrillas, the Genghis Khan and
Stalin quick way or for the desperate a thirty-year properly funded
program of education coupled with a thirty-year properly funded program
of bringing them as employees and entrepreneurs into the greater
economy.  People making a good living don't deviate from it to become
guerrillas.

Will these programs be installed--in a handful of small bootstraps
nations yes, in all others, hell no.  There is no political will to do
it in the U.S..  In the past I can only remember it being done by Chiang
Kai Shek in Taiwan.

I doubt Putin has the will to follow the Stalin route in wiping out the
civilian populace of Chechnya which provides cover, weapons and money to
guerrillas, and I he isn't going to be in power long enough to go the
bootstrap education and poor moneymaking routine in Russia, much less in
any dissident province.

<http://ap.tbo.com>

Sep 4, 2004

    Putin Promises Tougher Response to Terrorism, Admitting Past Weakness

The Associated Press

MOSCOW (AP) - Russian President Vladimir Putin promised a tougher
response to terrorism Saturday, saying in a surprising admission of
weakness that the Soviet Union's collapse had left the country unable to
react to attacks and warning, "Weak people are beaten."

The former KGB spy said in a televised address to the nation that
terrorists are waging an "all-out war" against Russia.

Earlier, Putin sealed off the borders of North Ossetia, the republic
where more than 300 people were killed in a hostage-taking at a school
that turned violent Friday. The hostage-taking was carried out by
militants seeking independence for the war-torn republic of Chechnya.

Putin blamed police corruption and porous borders for the failure to
stop attacks and called for mobilizing the nation before what he called
the "common danger" of terrorism.

"In general, we need to admit that we did not show an understanding of
the complexities and dangers of the processes occurring in our own
country and in the world," he said in a grim televised address to the
nation.

He said that since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the nation was
weakened and unable to respond effectively to terrorism.

"In any case, we couldn't adequately react ... We showed weakness, and
weak people are beaten," he said.

He noted in particular that Russia's borders had become porous and
"unprotected from either West or East," and that corruption had pervaded
the law enforcement agencies.

Putin promised to strengthen Russia's territorial integrity, create a
more effective crisis management system, and overhaul the law
enforcement organs. He said reforms would be in accordance with the
nation's constitution.