[Homestead] Strong language, feeble actions, Hightower

Walter H.Jeffries Highlands at blacklightning.com
Thu Sep 2 20:01:38 EDT 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 8:58 PM, Tvoivozhd wrote:
> So, Bush very quietly zeroed out a request by the IRS to increase by
> half the number of investigators it has to follow the money trail of
> terrorism. This is painstaking work that requires substantial staff
> with the expertise, time, and backing to do the job. But in his latest
> budget, which George hailed as evidence of his "robust" pursuit of the
> bad guys, there is zero funding for the 80 additional criminal
> investigators requested by the IRS.

Good! While I am no fan of Bush I would love to see the IRS eliminated.
The whole idea of an income tax is backwards. We should be rewarding
work, not punishing it. What we should do is tax consumption. A single
national sales tax is what we need, that covers all the government's
budget and then the government should have to live within that budget
with the exception of extraordinary situations (e.g., real war) where
bonds would be sold and then paid back out of the regular budget.
Individuals are supposed to live within their means and the government
should too. The IRS is a waste of money. With a sales tax the system
would be much simpler and require less overhead.