[Homestead] Ceramics

Tvoivozhd tvoivozd at infionline.net
Thu Sep 2 18:54:48 EDT 2004

sasha wrote:

>Yeah,but I cant unerstnd french ,what is it about?
>
>Sasha
>
>On Tuesday 31 August 2004 11:55 pm, Tvoivozhd wrote:
>

>>Yeah, if you don't have gas or electricity, you can use a solar furnace
>>to fire your ceramic designs.
>>
>>http://www.four-solaire.fr/marocains.htm

The text shows little or no detail of the ceramic furnace, other than
the insulated lower half and the trransparent solar lid which swings up
out of the way so you can put in ceramics and take them out.  The
picture does not show the solar concentrator which shines through the
lid to raise the heat within.

Principle is the same as a funnel-type solar cooker, except that the
wide portion of the funnel determines the amount of solar heat the
funnel collects.  A solar concentrator (fresnel, dish)  would vzstly
increase the temperature at the lower end---enough to make it suitable
for firing ceramics, provided you insulated the oven-end to keep heat
from escaping, and metal from melting.

Only the picture is interesting, knowledge of  French, or a translator
is unnecessary.