[Homestead] The Usury Business, How To Avoid Going To Jail

Lisa Perry lkvp at floydva.net
Thu Sep 2 13:51:32 EDT 2004

Gene GeRue wrote:

> Now, Lisa, I hope you know that my comments are about the huge banking
> interests, not the you's and me's of the business world. I have felt
> good for 35 years about my roles in helping people find and acquire
> the homes of their dreams.

Gene, I knew you didn't mean me personally.  I meant to add some sort of
disclaimer, then got on my soapbox, fired off my message and forgot
until I saw yours.  Sorry about that.  There are so many good people
working in the industry overall who mean well and try hard to help
consumers, I think I'd prefer if we could avoid stereotypes.  Yet I
realize in that post I stereotyped the average American as being highly
in debt and a vigorous consumer (I didn't include the list--thank
heavens).
I may be a pollyanna or an ostrich, but I believe it's just a few bad
apples in the lending industry.  I don't like most of the new programs
lenders provide, but consumers are using and requesting them.  By
refusing to do them, I'm phasing myself out of the business. You can
even get interest only adjustable loans from brand name lenders.
Ultimately, we need better consumer education and it must begin in high
school (or perhaps younger).  Maybe we can raise the next generation to
abhor debt.  I'm working on it with my sons.  One can hope.  On a good
day I'm filled with hope, on a bad day I fret about the election and
nibble on dark chocolate.

Peace,

Lisa