[Homestead] not - How To Avoid Going To Jail

Lisa Perry lkvp at floydva.net
Thu Sep 2 11:42:58 EDT 2004

Toni Hawryluk wrote:

> Marie typed :
> >If financial institutions had a penalty for offering individuals more
> credit
> than they should have, they might back off a bit.

I like that idea.  Too many lenders are willing to do up to 125%
refinance loans.  I have never done one for my clients and never will, I
think it should be against the law (not that we necessarily need more
laws) to owe more on your house than it is worth.  Wish I could remember
the statistic I read just yesterday, x billions of dollars now owed on
home equity lines of credit (which are not fixed rate loans--the rates
rise as the Fed raises rates!).  People have less equity in their homes
than ever before, the article was addressing the concern of future
borrowing power for any emergency, retirement, etc. when you've used up
your equity.

Lisa