[Homestead] Homebuilders nightmare, Big Timber dream - Not

Walter H.Jeffries Highlands at blacklightning.com
Thu Sep 2 10:13:08 EDT 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 2:57 AM, Lynda wrote:
> Ah, the U.S. government pays for the building of logging roads, the
> U.S.
> government sells "trees" at ridiculously low prices to big business
> timber
> outfits such as Georgia Pacific, LP, PalCo, etc.  A lot of those
> logging
> roads that the taxpayer is paying for are on private land.

Not all of the timber industry is the 'Big Timber'. On the east coast
there a great many small timber operations, on private land, without
any government subsidy, no government built logging roads, etc. I own
our forest land, pay taxes on it, build and pay for my own logging
roads without government subsidies. I do selective cutting of
individual trees, small patch cuts and when it is time, over-story
removal so the next generation grows tall and healthy. This is
sustainable forestry. That is a totally different process than what
'Big Timber' is doing out west on public lands and what is done in
Canada. Don't confuse them and paint with so broad a brush. The import
tariff is a good thing that helps to protect small timber producers, as
well as 'Big Timber', against the subsidies that Canadian companies
get.

The give-away of trees to 'Big Timber' out west is unfortunate. The
same happens in Canada. I would love the USA and Canadian governments
did not subsidize the big timber (almost exclusively out west in the
USA) because 'Big Timber' are my competitors. It would be nice if we
had to play on a level field where they had to buy and own their own
timber land and manage it sustain-ably instead of strip logging and
clear cutting. That would be more fair and better for the environment.
But don't confuse the issues of the tariffs which counter Canadian
subsidies with the give away of trees to 'Big Timber'.

Realize that it would also jack up the price of building with a home.
Tvo was complaining about the added $2,000 due to import tariffs. That
is a minor cost in the building of a home and the Canadian import
tariff should be there jacking up the price to make up for the Canadian
subsidy, and a tariff should be charged on the western wood (i.e..
charge the timber companies the same prices they would have to pay if
they were cutting on private land and buying the timber). They should
no longer be allowed to clear cut the way they have in the past. That
too would jack up the price of a new home. Are you willing to pay for
sustainability? Logging is good, when done sustainably but it costs
more. The forest is a renewable resource if properly managed, it keeps
our trade balance, provides jobs, builds houses, etc. The way 'Big
Timber' does it in the USA, Canada and elsewhere is not good. There are
alternatives - support the timber industry that does sustainable
forestry.

You are painting the issue with too broad a brush and missing the
details. Sad.

-Walter
West Topsham, Vermont
---
Laser Printer Iron-on Heat Transfer Toner: http://transfertoner.com/
Custom Transfers on Shirts, mugs & more: http://bltserve.com/
Holly's Pencil Portraits: http://hollygraphicart.com/

For Sale: 1825 post & beam farm house, 4 square cape with kitchen el,
pit sawn boards, big beams, beehive oven, 2 fireplaces, helical
chimney, own a piece of Vermont history - one of the first houses in
the area. Must be moved! Foundation stones also available. Some land
available too.